Handwriting is one of the most crucial skills students will develop in primary school. Targeting Handwriting covers the handwriting curriculum in a clear and structured way, with content directly linked to NSW syllabus outcomes. Writing is a vital, compelling form of communication. Children need to writeeveryday for a variety of purposes and for a variety of audiences. To be competent writers, their handwriting needs to be fluent and legible.
Targeting Handwriting NSW Year K Student Book is a fun and inviting book which has lots for students to do on every page.
Patterning exercises allow students to become familiar with the basic movements used in letter formation, and assist in the development of fine motor skills.
Two pages of tracing and tracking exercises for each letter provide students with plenty of practice in letter formation. A seahorse character demonstrates the positioning of letters within lines, and the relevant letter is also featured within a simple illustration as a memory aid for students.
Targeting Handwriting NSW Year 1 Student Book gives students two pages of tracing, tracking and independent writing exercises for each letter, plus:
- lower case and upper case letters and letters in words
- practice pages for numerals 1-10
- simple sentences for students to trace and copy
- self-assessment exercises
The seahorse character highlights the placement of letters within lines.
Students trace and write their own letter within the lines, and also trace and copy simple sentences.
A handy student reference for pencil grip and paper position is included on the inside back cover, and there is a fun and colourful alphabet on the back cover.
The Targeting Handwriting NSW Year 2 Student Book contains all the features of the K and 1 books plus:
- tracing and copying of words that have a common phonic element or words commonly found in Year 2 spelling lists
- students trace and copy sentences
- numerals, number words and punctuation integrated into handwriting exercises
- more emphasis on practice and the seahorse character is featured on some sets of lines only, the scaffolding slowly being removed.
The Targeting Handwriting NSW Year 3 Student Book focuses on teaching the basic joins.
Features of the book includes:
- diagonal joins, drop-in joins and horizontal joins
- letters that don't join
- letters with exits and entries as a useful and practical transitional stage between printing and cursive
- tracking exercises to introduce exits, entries and joins
The Targeting Handwriting NSW Year 4 Student Book focuses on consolidation of joining skills, plus:
- teaching of trickier joins like joining to s, horizontal joins to e, joined double f and joined ft
- students begin to assess their own letter size and spacing, spacing between words, and slope
The Targeting Handwriting NSW Year 5 Student Book focuses on:
- sections on fluency joins and speed loops
- teaching pages featuring two sets of copying lines, for reinforcement and extra practice
- practical techniques to help students check their letter spacing, word spacing and slope
- practise of common letter clusters and high frequency words
- a presentation skills section with material on flourished capitals, headings and borders
The Targeting Handwriting NSW Year 6 Student Book focuses on developing students' own styles, while maintaining a general emphasis on fluency and legibility.
The book includes:
- some useful alternative letter shapes and joins
- more 'mature' real-world applications of handwriting, eg. developing a signature and tips for note taking
- teaching pages with two sets of copying lines, for reinforcement and extra practice
- a section on calligraphy