Nelson Senior Maths 11 Mathematics Essential has been revised and updated for the Western Australia Curriculum and the Australian Curriculum. The Mathematics Essential course caters for students heading towards the workforce or further training after school, covering interesting and relevant applications of mathematics, and teaching useful skills for life.
You’ll also have access to FREE* NelsonNet resources to engage your students and provide you with valuable teaching tools.
- All the resources from the student website
- Chapter PDFs
- Teaching plan
- ExamView software and question bank
- Video tutorials
- ExamView chapter quizzes
*Complimentary access to NelsonNet is available to teachers who use the accompanying student book as a core resource in their classroom. Contact your education consultant for access codes and conditions.
- Written by successful authors Sue Thompson and Judy Binns who are experts in teaching and writing for senior practical mathematics courses.
- Chapters are written in plain English with an emphasis on numeracy and literacy.
- Themes include sport, health, travel, house plans, building and measurement.
- Each chapter begins with a chapter problem to be solved, a chapter table of contents, and a list of chapter outcomes.
- Graded exercises are linked to worked examples and include problem-solving and realistic applications.
- Investigations explore the syllabus in more detail through group work, discovery and modelling activities.
- A keyword activity at the end of each chapter focuses on the mathematics languages and terminology learned in the chapter.
- Glossary/index is a useful reference of course terminology.
- Unit 1
- 1 What’s the score?
- 2 Giving 110%
- 3 Using formulas
- 4 Applying rates
- 5 Show me the graph
- Practice set 1
- 6 Colourful ratios
- 7 Applying percentages
- 8 Show me the data
- 9 Practical graphs
- 10 Earning money
- Practice set 2
- Unit 2
- 11 It’s about time
- 12 Census and surveys
- 13 Healthy figures
- Practice set 3
- 14 Paying tax
- 15 That’s biased
- 16 Going places
- Practice set 4
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Sue Thomson is an experienced teacher and prolific author, well-known for writing and presenting for senior practical mathematics. Sue’s interests are in language development, financial literacy and making mathematics accessible to all.
Judy Binns is a Mathematics Coordinator and experienced author. She has an interest in motivating students with learning difficulties, and has taught senior applied mathematics courses.