Patented in 1891 by Nikola Tesla, the Tesla coil has captured the imagination of researchers and enthusiasts for more than a century!
A Tesla coil combines the electrical properties of a capacitor with that of a conductive coil, to produce a resonating “standing wave” of voltage. The high frequency high voltage energy field resulting from larger Tesla coils can produce dazzling displays of lightning and other amazing effects.
The mini Tesla coil built from this kit is powered by a 12V DC supply, and is too small to generate lightning displays - but it can still produce glowing arcs of electricity, and make fluorescent bulbs glow wirelessly.
The kit comes complete with all components, a 12VDC 0.5A power supply, and a comprehensive set of construction tips to complement the online instructions. Also required but NOT included are: soldering equipment, razor, and plastics glue.
This is a perfect first soldering project for budding electronics enthusiasts.
SAFETY NOTES: The energy fields and electrical arcs generated by the mini Tesla coil are relatively modest and are not very hazardous. However, the Tesla coil unit has hot surfaces that can burn unprotected skin if touched. Electrical sparks can also ignite flammable materials. Recommended ages 14+.
- Never leave the coil running unattended.
- Avoid touching the heatsink. (It may be very hot.)
- Do not operate the coil within 5 metres of a person fitted with a cardiac pacemaker. Interference with a pacemaker is highly unlikely, but not impossible.
- Keep flammable materials away from the Tesla coil.
- Physically disconnect the coil from power when not in use.
- Keep out of reach of young children.