In a world dominated by digital technology and qwerty keyboards, why bother to teach handwriting?
Research shows handwriting assists with the preparation for early literacy, increases creativity and productivity, improves learning difficulties and enhances auditory learning. It is the understanding of this that makes Handwriting today the must-have new series for every teacher. This innovative resource is packed with activities designed to combine the explicit teaching of handwriting with fun and effective cross-curricular activities, including Science, Mathematics and Health.
Handwriting today is developed in workbook format for Foundation - Year 3, while blackline masters are available for Year 4 - 6 to provide greater flexibility with older students and the capacity for individual instruction in areas of need. This listing is for Foundation.
Australian Curriculum links Foundation
Literacy - Creating texts
- Produce some lower case and upper case letters using learned letter formations (ACELY1653)
- adopting correct posture and pencil grip
- learning to produce simple handwriting movements
- following clear demonstrations of how to construct each letter (for example where to start; which direction to write)
- learning to construct lower case letters and to combine these into words
learning to construct some upper case letters