Transformative Teaching: Changing Today’s Classrooms Culturally, Academically, and Emotionally brings together the most effective strategies for leading diverse students in developing the skills they’ll need both inside and outside the classroom.
The authors explore six learning foundations – (1) a safe learning environment, (2) procedures and routines, (3) growth mindset, (4) student talk, (5) student self-assessment and (6) mindfulness – and three ways of teaching to keep the cultural, academic and emotional self in mind. They also explore why educators must embrace their roles as teacher heroes, how they can apprentice their students to become lifelong learners and what they can do to connect all their students by cultivating a responsive learning community.
F - 12 teachers will
- understand the actions and mission of a teacher hero
- recognise key traits of the nine most common types of unique learners
- gain six effective learning foundations to reach all learners
- identify emotional triggers and explore ways to respond to problems with skills instead of with emotions
- discover how the chunk, chew, check (CCC) framework can simplify lesson design and engage all learners
- use resources and tools, including surveys and prompts, that can help them effectively strategise on their heroes’ journeys.