Teaching Mathematics: Foundations to Middle Years connects readers to the bigger picture of mathematics. This comprehensive resource is designed to help pre-service teachers gradually build mathematically knowledge and become confident about teaching the subject to a range of age groups, in diverse learning environments. Spanning Foundations to 9 mathematics curriculum, the book’s unique structure explores the different stages of how children learn maths and how to teach maths, before drilling down to the specific strands and skills by age group.
Updated to draw on the revised Australian Curriculum, the second edition is rich with student work examples, practical activities and a wealth of teaching and learning tools to ensure pre-service teachers feel positive about mathematics and their role in teaching it.
New to this edition
- Additional and updated practical activities for pre-service teachers to take straight into the classroom
- More student work examples throughout to help link theory to practice and more references to the Australian Curriculum
- ‘Teaching Challenges’ feature explores examples of students’ miscomprehension, likely difficulties, error identification and analysis in student work
- ‘Consider and Discuss Your Maths’ and ‘Consider and Discuss Your Teaching’ questions and tasks differentiate between learning mathematical content and learning to teach maths in the classroom
- All chapters updated to draw on contemporary mathematics education research and current theories on the teaching and learning of mathematics and with reference to the current revised Australian Curriculum