The use of graphic organisers makes it easier for students to
- visualise abstract content
- plan for an essay, report, speech or explanation of any topic studied
- examine concepts closely and represent them in a variety of ways
- recognise and show patterns or relationships
- compare, contrast and connect ideas, steps, topics or events
- break apart, and explain or demonstrate the steps of any process
- show understandings of any concepts or process
- tackle the study of a topic or idea
- relate new ideas to previous knowledge and to real life
- communicate discoveries, results or thought processes.
Good research in many subject areas shows that using graphic organisers leads to improved student performance on assessments and enhanced critical thinking skills. Such tools help students think about their thinking and think about their learning… and lay out ideas in a way to show what they know. Organising visually is a way to process, analyse and synthesise ideas so as to understand them more deeply.
Graphic Organisers for Any Subject, Any Year Level is one workbook resource needed by every student and teacher. Here are 60 graphic organisers that can be adapted to most subject areas and most year levels for studying or communicating just about any idea on any topic. Use these open-ended or blank organisers in a variety of ways to fit the specific needs of your students. Watch their thinking and organisational skills blossom!