When educators embrace student-centred learning, classrooms transform, learning comes alive and outcomes improve. A culmination of Lee Watanabe-Crockett’s years of work with schools around the world, Future-focused learning: Ten essential shifts of everyday practice details ten core shifts of instructional practice teachers can use with students immediately, regardless of core curriculum or instructional pedagogy. These proven shifts offer a clear pathway for taking the great work teachers already do and making it exceptional.
F–12 teachers will:
- Connect the six essential fluencies – solution fluency, information fluency, creativity fluency, media fluency, collaboration fluency and global digital citizenship – to the shifts to develop students’ 21st century skills and higher-order thinking
- Gain one hundred specific examples of instructional microshifts – simple classroom activities to advance classroom learning
- Explore topics in student-centred learning – essential questions, process-oriented learning and learner-created knowledge
- Personalise student learning and improve outcomes through increased connection
- Improve formative assessment practices to be more mindful, and further student engagement by involving them in the assessment process.