A ferrofluid is a wonderous liquid that becomes strongly magnetized in the presence of a magnetic field.
When a magnet comes close to the fluid, fascinating black spikes will form as they are drawn out along invisible magnetic field lines.
How to use:
- Take a small amount (1-2cm) of ferromagnetic powder in the test tube.
- Fill the tube with water to the top, then seal the lid and shake.
- Your test tube will look full of black liquid. Use your magnet to collect the ferrofluid in the water and move the cluster around!
For the more advanced user:
- Place a small amount (1/2 teaspoon) of your ferromagnetic powder in a dish.
- Add clear mineral oil or vegetable oil in small amounts, and stir in the powder until there is a smooth thick liquid on the dish.
- Introduce your magnet under the bottom of the dish. The liquid will move and form shapes in the liquid!
- Try holding the magnet a few cms from the bottom of the dish and watch the liquid change!
When the magnetic field is removed from the liquid, it will return to it's original liquid form.
Recommended for ages 8+ (close adult supervision required - things could get messy!).
While Ferrofluid is amazing, it is also very messy stuff. Please ensure the lid is screwed on tight.