The 5M 300x USB Digital Microscope is powerful but so very easy to use! This robust little unit gives you and the family a window into a fascinating microscopic world. The enclosed software allows you to snap photos and video whenever you want. Insects look incredible. See the cell structure of leaf matter, or the tiny organisms in a drop of water. Watch crystals nucleate and grow. You can take the microscope out of its stand and just point it at your clothing or hair. Go exploring!
The microscope's 5M image sensor presents vivid and sharp images. It also has 8 built-in illumination LED's with adjustable brightness.
The microscope has two magnification ranges: a low magnification range (about 10-50x) with high depth-of-field, and a high magnification range (up to 300x) with lower depth-of-field. Switching between the two ranges is as simple as winding the focus - the image goes out of focus, and then as you keep winding, comes back into focus at the new magnification!
- 5 Mega Pixels image sensor (true resolution)
- Magnifications: 10x-300x
- Still capture resolution: 2592x1944, 2048x1536, 1920x1080, 1280x1024
- Video capture resolution: 2592x1944, 2048x1536, 1920x1080, 1280x1024
- Professional optical microscopic lens
- Measurement function
- Compatible with Windows and Mac
- OEM supported
- 1-year manufacturer warranty
- Focus Range: Manual focus from 10mm to 500mm
- Frame Rate: 30fps @ VGA
- Magnification Ratio: 10x to 300x
- Video format: AVI
- Photo format: JPEG or BMP
- Light source: 8 LED (adjustable by control wheel)
- PC interface: USB2.0
- Power Source: 5V from USB port
- Operation system: Windows 7/8/10, Mac 10.2 or later
- OSD language: English, German, Spanish, French, Netherlands
- Bundle software: MicroCapture Plus with measurement and calibration function
- Product Size: 110mm (L) x 33mm (R)
- Weight of camera: 100g
- Certificates: with CE, FCC approval, RoHS compliance
Computer system requirements:
- Windows 7/8/10, Mac 10.12 or later
- RAM: 512M
- Video memory: 64M
- USB Port: 2.0
- CD-ROM Drive
Note: if you don't have a CD-ROM drive on your computer, we can also provide the software as an email link for download.
Colin's thoughts: these units have thoroughly impressed us with their robustness, power, and ease of use. We've had one set up in our shop for years now, and it has been handled by kids as young as 4 - and it is still going strong! There are many other digital options available nowadays, but this USB plug-in model seems to still be the best in terms of power, quality, and overall value for the price.
By the way, although this microscope isn't strictly designed for viewing microscope slides, there are quite workable ways to view slides with these little units. All you need is a "light stage" - a flattish illuminated surface that the slide can sit upon. Battery operated LED lights from Coles work okay, as long as they have a reasonably flat surface (cover it with a layer of tissue to diffuse the light a bit). But the best option is...drum roll....a smart phone! Set it on an illumination setting, and plug it into the computer so that it doesn't run the battery down, and there you have it - a perfectly flat, evenly illuminated surface to place your slides upon! Remember to turn off the LED's on the microscope, so that the only illumination shines up through the slide! A layer of tissue will protect the surface of the phone, and help you to pick up the slide afterwards.